Wednesday, July 13, 2016

"I rest on his goodness, in my doubt and in my fear."

One of the things that is laying heavy on my heart right now is fear.

The world seems to be soaked in fear right now, and I can't quite understand it. I can't even begin to comprehend why those who have faith in him are even a bit fearful. Fear isn't of the Lord, that much I know, and although I struggle with fear sometimes, I've never lost sight of the long term view that God is still in control. He promises over and over again to protect his people, if only they would follow his commandments. And yet people still fear.

I think that people, especially in America, are used to comfort. We talk about it in our churches of course, and we say things about how we don't truly understand what it means to 'take up our cross' as we face no real trials because of it. But I don't think we really and truly get it.

You see, God called us, as Christians, to a life of trials. He called us to persecution, and ridicule, and pain. He calls us to give up everything we own, and to follow him wherever he leads. He calls us to everything that is the exact opposite of comfort. But he rewards us with the greatest gift of all: his love and an eternity with him.

So why? Why are we so afraid? Why do we concern ourselves with politics, with social issues, with everything other than God? We let it become our focus, our main issue, and we begin to let it control us. We begin to fear it, or it's outcome, and we live out our lives around it. We begin to avoid saying things, to avoid doing things, just because of this fear. In reality, we shouldn't be concerning ourselves with these things. The issues themselves are only stemming from an even bigger problem.

We think that the point of being a Christian is making it to heaven. We focus on the end goal, the idea of eternal happiness. But as a friend once said to me "God's goal for us isn't heaven. His goal for us is a relationship with him."

Whatever happens in the middle, good or bad, it doesn't matter. Our job, as Christians, is one thing. And one thing alone. Everything else is secondary to this.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20)

That's it. No other commands tacked on. Just go, and teach them about my love for them. He's going to take care of the rest. We just need to do everything in our power to share his love with others.

There's a passage, in Habakkuk 3:17-19, that I think sums this up pretty well.

"Even though the fig trees have no fruit
and no grapes grow on the vines,
even though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no grain,
even though the sheep all die
and the cattle stalls are empty,
I will still be joyful and glad,
because the Lord God is my savior.
The Sovereign Lord gives me strength.
He makes me sure-footed as a deer
and keeps me safe on the mountains."

Things are going to go wrong, but, even though they go wrong, we can be joyful and glad in him.

He's got us covered.


No comments:

Post a Comment