Friday, December 1, 2017

Matthew 5:41 (Original Poem)

i have been carrying my master's armor for many a mile,
just as i was instructed to
all my life
"fight the good fight"
"rewards are just around the corner"
"he sees your sacrifice and he will honor it"
they say
but my body grows weary from the exhurtion

of course, my master is not cruel
he rewards me for my service
whether it is a softly whispered "good job"
or a short day of rest
but i am weary all the same

"lord" i ask
"when will i feel restored?
where is the end of the journey
or even a respite for my aching soul?"

i turn to him expecting answers
but he just smiles
the smile that makes everyone follow his every wish
and answers not my current question
but the question i had asked 5 miles ago

as he waxes lyric about things i had previously asked to hear
i re-adjust the armor in my arms
and focus on walking just one more step

if i can make it to the next mile marker
i might get an answer then

1 comment:

  1. I pray that you will find your answer. It is there, in the Bible, on every page. Read Psalm 23! The Psalms are very human, I often find they describe life in a very real way, our struggles and our longing for God. And as we grow and mature in life we grow and mature in our relation with God. I pray that you will find your answer in the right time. (And you poems are really good, they touched me deeply because I can relate to what you write)/Molly

    ReplyDelete